Monday, April 18, 2011

Crazy weekend.

Craziness. Friday, 46 students and friends/guests and I went to Minneapolis Institute of Arts, the Ol' Spaghetti Factory, and to "Arsenic and Old Lace" at the Guthrie. A grand time was had by all, I think. Great play. Absolutely wonderful. So happy when I can take students to something so much fun that they want to repeat the experience.

Happy surprise: Liz Miller was in the middle of assembling her huge installation at the MIA. We got to watch for awhile. It's amazing, and I can't wait to see it finished...and it was the coolest of surprises.

Saturday, I went with Rachael and Lisa to the MN Book Awards, which was a delightful evening and although I really really wanted Swati's SPLIT to win, it just goes to show that everything is subjective, and great books don't win everything.

Sunday, I was honored to be the keynote speaker at the SW/WC Creative Writing Contest Awards Ceremony at Southwest MSU. Great kids, excited about writing and proud of their accomplishments. I got to put the medals around their necks. Talk about fun! The junior and senior first-place winners got scholarships to SMSU! What a terrific contest and event. The winners are all published in a slick-looking anthology. Lots of work, but those kids were loving it. Well worthwhile. Thanks, Marianne, for inviting me to come.

And Marianne and Jim and one of their students and I went out to Hunan Lion afterwards. That means I got curry twice this week. What a treat!
I'm a little tired today, but back to the school drawing board.

No comments: