Sunday, December 8, 2013

Mourning Nelson Mandela


Photo: May this roaring lion of truth rest in gentle peace. May he continue to inspire us all to go to the edge of our conviction- not backing away because of fear or self-doubt- but going right to the edge and beyond, in our efforts to liberate this humanity from the madness that ensnares it. He was a great visionary, but not a dreamer. He grounded his vision in courageous action. May he continue to inspire all of us to stand in the fire of our truth no matter the odds, no matter the resistance. ROARING this world awake. ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!The world is mourning the death of Nelson Mandela. Has the life of any other international figure caused such unity of celebration and of mourning? Princess Diana's death certainly caused international unity in mourning. This, however, is even bigger in the scope of the world's attitudes.

Our friend Nicole in South Africa told us, "Even my dad went to a party with black people last night." She said that sounds bad, but it's significant in the kind of impact Mandela continues to make.

I will share more pictures again in the next few days, but for now, I want to to share this quote:

"During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and achieve. But if needs be it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."
--Nelson Mandela

South African news of Nelson Mandela's memorial services

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps why he stood as a titan in our time is that he gave us reason to believe humans needn't inevitably commit the same mistakes in perpetuity, in all countries--all it takes is one person to break the cycle, to indicate a fresh start, and then reconciliation, the bravest move of all. It's too bad such people are so few and far between. Thanks for bringing him to my attention last year.