Saturday, May 14, 2011

FINISHED

I'm done, I'm done, I'm done.
Funny, how, even though I do this final grading, figuring and posting grades thing twice every year, it always feels like I seriously can't finish in time.

Got done yesterday at 4:15, rushed off to graduation festivities. Oh, and forgot my cap and gown, so had to bolt home to get it. Tom saved me--I called him and he fetched it and met me halfway.

Graduation, as always is way more fun than I anticipate. No matter how tedious the ceremony can be, students graduating after working so hard inspire me. It's worth the work and long hours to see someone walk across the stage who is the first to go to college from his or her family--or made it through with three jobs and still graduated with honors--or has a passel of kids and they're all sitting in the stands, shiny-proud of mom--or mom is there after saving six kids from a horrible life in Somalia, and she's there, bursting with pride at her daughter, the college graduate. It's worth it.

It's a delight to share in their celebration.

No comments: