Sunday, April 18, 2010

MN Book Awards

MN Book Awards Gala last night.

Our whole writing group--minus Sally, whom we sorely missed--attended at the Crown Plaza downtown, St. Paul. A grand time was had by all (And I'm still full today).

Kirstin Cronn Mills didn't win, but she only lost to Kate DiCamillo, who has won the Newbery, Newbery Honor, and a MN Book award already, so that's like losing to John Updike. She was a finalist! And we are proud.

Nicole Helget didn't win for Turtle Catcher, either, but I haven't read the book that beat hers. I couldn't put Turtle Catcher down, so it would be interesting to read The Book of Night Women that beat hers. Perhaps it's a cultural thing....but I'll have to read it and see.

I'm still very proud of KCM and Nicole.

Selfishly, the best part of the evening was getting to meet my editor, Brian Farrey, from FLUX who is publishing Chasing AllieCat. He's great. We had fun, and I'm excited to get to work with him and the cool publicist people who were also at the Gala from FLUX.

No comments: