Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Great summer reads and summer lists...

What do I love about summer? Let me count the ways....
  • a break from teaching, prepping, and grading
  • traveling with students, seeing amazing European sites with wonderful students
  • sleeping closer to 8 hours a night
  • riding my bike many more miles than during school
  • reading whatever I want and when I want
  • writing, writing, writing, and getting lots done so far
I have read some wonderful books since school got out. Here's my list so far:
  1. Choices by Kate Buckley--super YA novel, right up there with Chris Crutcher for a great job with a YA issue novel: this one deals with date rape, teen pregnancy, and abortion vs. the conservative pro-live mindset. Very well done, and good characterization
  2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo--oh, mygoodness--I think this is the best detective novel I've ever read. Couldn't put it down. Am now deep in the second book of the series. Just sad that Stieg Larsson died shortly after delivering all three manuscripts for publication.
  3. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield--This one has been on my nightstand for maybe two years, and I finally grabbed it. LOVED it. It's been called a "love letter to reading." TRUE! More on this book later.
  4. Cemetery Dance--another mystery that was much fun
  5. Glass Castle by Jeanette Wall--one of my favorite memoirs ever since Angela's Ashes.

There is at least one more, but I can't remember it right now. FUN to be reading.

No comments: