Friday, April 13, 2012

The Creative Life a la Sara Zarr

I won't be able to afford to go to this summer's SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) Conference in Los Angles. I don't think I can afford the time away or the money--unless in the meantime, I land a big grant or a hefty book deal. Ha.

From my desk, however, I can enjoy some of the highlights. here's a bit from the keynote, Sara Zarr with FABULOUS tips about living the creative life. I put this link here partly so I can go back and remind myself about these pointers.

Teaching writing means mentoring more than writing...and that's how I make a living. I also am lucky enough to love teaching most of the time. I would love it all the time if grading didn't take so much time...time that could be writing time. But that's okay. Summer approaches, and I intend to be a selfish writer with my time all summer.

1 comment:

Katie Olthoff said...

I felt exactly the same way when I was still teaching, although I taught much younger kids. The fun, rewarding part of teaching was so bogged down by paperwork!