Monday, May 16, 2011

Italy or bust! And the garden and other odds and ends

So...school's out, and I'm writing a last post for ten days. (okay, so I might be on FB later, but I'm not writing another note until I get back from Italy).
I had to share a few pictues:
1. Freya's new water dish (Tom's hand-made birdbath)
2. Happy garlic.
Neruda refers to fishermen's nets as sad, and it's a metaphor. Here, it's not a metaphor. Those little transplanted winter garlic sets are downright happy and bright green in their rows.
3. Half the tomatoes and peppers, grown from seed, eagerly awaiting their transplanting (the plan for tonight)

After I pack.


Tomorrow morning, twelve students, Kurt D, and I are heading to Rome, Florence, Venice, Assisi, Lake Como, and Milan. I finally, finally get to go inside the Uffizi Museum in Florence. Sooo excited to see Botticelli's Primavera and the Birth of Venus and Donatello's work...and more...

I know I'll be blown away by Michelangelo's David again--and now that I've read Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling, I can't wait to see the Sistine Chapel again and identify all the prophets and sybils besides the old testament scenes. The crucifixion of Haman is a story I never heard until I read that book...want to explore more of that this summer (after I stare at Michelangelo's rendition).

The Giro d'Italia is also underway. Besides the art and Cathedrals, the architecture...and food, and landscape, and cobbled streets, and, and, and...I am desperately seeking a way to get a peek a the Giro racers. I'll let you know if that happens when I get back.

Happy summer. Happy end of the school year to those still in school anticipating summer, and those out!


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Just had to drop by and say how much I LOVED Chasing Alliecat!!

http://jeanlittlelibrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/chasing-alliecat-by-rebecca-fjelland.html