Thursday, January 2, 2014

A new year, and reflections, goals, and all that

I always tell my comp classes about Emmitt Smith. I'm not a big NFL fan (or even a little one), but I read an article about Emmitt in Sports Illustrated while in the Orthopedic and Fracture Clinic waiting room once. He says that his high school football coach told him, "A dream is a dream until you write it down. Then it becomes a goal." Therefore, I make my comp students dream about their life in ten years--writing down their fantasy life; then, they have to formulate three goals for the semester. I almost always (or at least once a year) do this with them.

The point of this rambling? To write down my goals. Here. Publicly. So my friends and acquaintances who glance at this blog will help hold me accountable. I have found that a buddy in the goal-setting business is helpful.

1. Finish my novel, the title of which is Who the Frack is Maddie Jackson?
2. Get back in shape, race the Minnesota senior games, and ride at least two centuries: "The Ironman" at the end of April, and The "Jesse James" in September. (I read an article in  Bicycling about several people who collectively lost over 600 pounds through riding and eating right. For some reason, that was a kick in the butt to get back on the wagon of paying attention to what I eat and riding in a way that you could actually call training. I also just received an email about the National Senior Games. A few pictures of some senior athlete women's arms reminded me that I can get truly fit no matter how old I am. I've always been pretty fit, and reasonably competitive. I have let it slide lately. It's hard to make writing a priority AND riding a priority, but it can be done, and I'm going to do it.
3. Keeping a balance. Keeping up with schoolwork, and still doing the above two priorities which are the work of my soul.
It's hard for me to make the two things that are a priority for my own soul (versus school which is ever-present) when I am overwhelmed with work to do. Maybe I'll assign fewer assignments. I always say that and rarely do it.

Less important to me:
4. Trying to get my finances in better order. When you don't have enough money, and your monthly teacher income barely covers all the bills (it does, but barely), it's hard to make this any kind of priority because it's so depressing, especially in light of all the hours I work every week all year. However, I'm actually determined to put some effort into this. I just made a new budget, and I'm going to file taxes in February instead of April this year. Those are starters.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A new year, and reflections, goals, and all that actually a great post.
free prestashop themes