Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yikes, it's going to be a busy semester...and The Power of One

Yikes. Two new classes are going to make this a very busy semester. However, I've met all my classes now, and I think every one is going to be an interesting, delightful group. All very different, all challenging in different ways, but all fun. But busy.

I guess I'll determine to write a blog at least once a week, hopefully more, and not kick myself if all I can do is once a week.




We're reading The Power of One right now in my Humanities of South Africa class. I love that book. I have read it about four times, I think, and every time I marvel at the voice and the story. Bryce Courtenay, the author, just died in November, so I'm feeling as if reading it this time is a bit of a tribute to him.

I was surprised that only three people in class knew what Apartheid was. That's sort of shocking, but on the other hand--I have plenty to teach in there. It will all be new material to most of them (not all!), I guess.

In Comp, we're reading A Lesson Before Dying.   I've taught that book so many times, I only have to skim it to go through quizzes and to lead discussion. I feel as if I know it by heart. Maybe I should change to a different book, but it's so good and so powerful, and it introduces students to some ideas that they haven't known before.  Love the book So for now, I'll keep on with it.

Speaking of all that, I sat down to write a chapter review for Intro to Humanities. I better get on it.

A Youtube about The Power of One--but not the book; just a good video

No comments: